Papers & Reports
Integrating DE within ITE
- Ubuntu Network (2012) Towards a Framework for Positioning Development Education within a Reconceptualised PDE, Ubuntu working paper
- Bryan, A., Clarke, M., and Drudy, S. (2009) Social Justice Education in Initial Teacher Education: A Cross Border Perspective, Report for the Standing Council of Education North and South, available: http://scotens.org/wp-content/uploads/Social-Justice-Education-in-Initial-Teacher-Education-2009.pdf
- Ubuntu Network (2006) Roles of Education in Achieving a Sustainable future - Ubuntu launch report
- Ubuntu Network (2007) A Sharing of DE Experiences and Planning for the Future, based on workshop held on 11 Sept 2007
- Campbell, M. & Hourigan, N. (2008) 'Institutional Cultures and Development Education' in Policy & Practice: A Development Education Review, Vol. 7, Autumn 2008, pp. 35-47, available: http://www.developmenteducationreview.com/issue7-focus3
- Hogan, D. & Tormey, R. (2008) 'A Perspective on the Relationship between Development Education and Education for Sustainable Development' in Policy & Practice: A Development Education Review, Vol. 6, Spring 2008, pp. 5-17, available: http://www.developmenteducationreview.com/issue6-focus1
Attitudes and Uptake of DE in ITE
- Bryan, A, Clarke, M., & Drudy, S (2009). A study of student teachers' perspectives on social justice and development education. In M. Liddy & J. O'Flaherty (eds.), Action research and other projects to integrate development education into initial teacher education 2006-2008.
- Gleeson, J., King, P., O'Driscoll, S., and Tormey, R. (2007) Development Education in Irish Post-Primary Schools: Knowledge, Attitudes & Activism, Research Report.
- Liddy, M. (2009). Analysis of Irish Pre-service Teachers Responses to Integration of Sustainable Development Topics into their Teaching Subject. In M. Liddy & J. O'Flaherty (eds.), Action research and other projects to integrate development education into initial teacher education 2006-2008.
- McCormack, O. and O'Flaherty J. (2010). Pre-service teacher's views and attitudes towards integrating development education active learning methodologies into their teaching', in Teacher and Teacher Education, 26(6), pp. 1332-1339.
- Tormey, R. and Gleeson, J. (2012) Irish post-primary students' attitudes towards ethnic minorities, Irish Educational Studies, 31(2), pp. 157-173.
Evaluating DE in ITE
- Nolan, A. and Regan, C. (2007) Ubuntu Network Evaluation, carried out by 80:20 Educating and Acting for a Better World.
Critical Media Literacy for DE
- Lewis, D., Rodgers, D., and Woolcock, M. (2013) The Projection of Development: Cinematic Representation as An(other) Source of Authoritative Knowledge?, Policy Research Working Paper no WPS 6491, Washington D.C.: The World Bank Development Research Group.
- Liddy, M. (2009) Understanding film as Pedagogical Tool for Social Justice Learning, Report from meeting at Curriculum Development Unit on 05 June 2009.
- Liddy, M. & O'Flaherty, J., eds., (2009) Negative as a Source of Positive Learning – The Use of Film in Development Education, Ubuntu Network.
- McCann, H. and Jeffers, G. (2010) Films and Social Justice, NUI Maynooth.
- Ubuntu Network (2011) Media Stories & Messages: Critical Media Literacy for Development Education, Handbook from Dialogue Day 5 held on 28 Feb 2011.
Innovative Pedagogies and Practices in DE
- Hinchion, C. & Hennessy, J. (2009) 'Reading other worlds, reading my world' in Policy & Practice: A Development Education Review, Vol. 9, Autumn 2009, pp. 7-22, available: http://www.developmenteducationreview.com/issue9-focus1
- Ubuntu Network (2008) Innovative Pedagogies: Action Research Projects to Integrate Development Education into Initial Teacher Education, Handbook from Dialogues Days 1 and 2 held in March & April 2008.
- Tormey, R. & Henchy, D. (2008) Re-imagining the traditional lecture: an action research approach to teaching student teachers to ‘do’ philosophy, Teaching in Higher Education, 13(3), pp. 303-314.
Understanding Academic Disciplines for integrating DE
- Tormey, R., Liddy, M., and Hogan, D. (2009) Interdisciplinary Literacy: the ability to critique disciplinary cultures and work effectively across disciplines. In Villers-Stuart, P. and Stibbe, A. (eds) The Handbook of Sustainability Literacy. Green Books.
- McGarr, O. (2010) Education for Sustainable Development in Technology Education in Irish Schools: A Curriculum Analysis, International Journal of Technology and Design Education, 20(3), pp. 317-332.